2021 Juried Abstract Exhibition
Abstract art is non-representational: it does not attempt to represent an accurate depiction of visual reality (such as a person, an object, a landscape) but instead uses shapes, colors, forms and gestural marks to achieve its effect. Even works that loosely depict a recognizable scene, person, object etc. are not considered abstract because we can recognize the subject (so these works are considered representational).
- Exhibit dates: October 1 – 25
- Receiving date for entries: Tuesday, September 28, 9am to 4pm in person
- Pick up for pieces not accepted into the show: Thursday, September 30 and Friday October 1, 9am to
- Opening Reception: Friday, October 8 from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm
- Accepted works will be posted on the Falmouth Art Center website by the end of the day on Thursday, September 30.
Make Sure to read our guidelines for submitting artwork to juried exhibits HERE.
Submission fees for juried exhibits and juried digital entry exhibits:
- members: $15 for first entry, $10 for each additional entry
- nonmembers:$20 for first entry, $15 for each additional work.
- $200 Best in Show
- $100 each- four judge’s awards
Juror: Jan Lhormer
Jan Lhormer earned a BFA in 1988 and a MFA in 1990 in Painting from The Boston University School of Visual Arts.She also holds a bachelor’s degree in Art History from Colorado College in 1983. Her work is in many private collections and has been reviewed by The Boston Globe and featured in Cape Cod Life Arts Edition and Cape Arts Review Magazine.She has won fellowships to both the Vermont Studio Center and the Virginia Center For Creative Arts.
Ms. Lhormer has exhibited widely throughout New England and beyond for over twenty five years.Exhibition highlights include The Painting Center, New York City, Speedwell Projects Gallery, Portland, Maine,The Cape Cod Museum of Art, Barnstable, MA, Lyman Eyer Gallery, Provincetown, MA, 808 Gallery Boston, MA, Reynolds Ryan Gallery New Orleans, and The Mendelson Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA.
Her paintings are also showcased in Boston area offices through The DeCordova Museum. Lincoln, Ma. Corporate Loan Program.
Ms. Lhormer teaches painting and drawing at Bridgewater State University and has published articles in Provincetown Arts Magazine, Art New England and Cape Arts Review.
For more information on the artist visit www.janlhormer.com